Learn 8 simple tips that can help busy people reenergize during busy days. My life is great…I have the career I wanted, a supportive spouse, smart kids, two cars, but I am exhausted and not enjoying all that I have, let alone functioning at my best. Does this sound familiar?
Believe me, I’ve been there! My busy life is terrific, but I’ve gone through those times when I am not feeling wonderful, let alone healthy. This is a common experience among busy adults. We are up early and already feeling as if we are behind and tired. And, this is only the first 15 minutes of the day!
There is plenty of research out there that proves that as humans we can only really stay focused and perform well for approximately 90 minutes. Then we need to seek restoration. Taking short focused breaks can help you get your mojo back. Turns out managing our energy is more important than managing our time!
If you want to feel you can perform at your best all day, achieve improved health, and feel greater happiness, then you need to manage your energy. This happens by increasing your energy capacity in four key areas: physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
Rub the sleep from your eyes and take a deep breath. Here are some tips for getting your mojo back. Some may even sound counterintuitive - just try them!
- Go outside for 5-10 minutes. I can hear you now, “What? I don’t have time to go outside because I have got to do …..” Just take five minutes, go outside and breathe deeply.
- Every 90 minutes, get up, move to a new place (outside is great) and get a change of scenery for a few minutes.
- Stand up and do some simple stretches.
- Set a timer every 60-90 minutes. If you tend to get “lost” in your work and lose track of time, let the timer remind you it’s time to move, stretch, and breathe.
- Switch gears. If you are struggling to get a task done, stop and go do something different! When you come back, you will be amazed at how refreshed you are. Now try tackling that “difficult” task!
- Eat a healthy snack and drink water.
- Change “channels” mentally and emotionally.
- Tap into your deepest core values. What is most important to you? Create a sense of purpose in your life.
Try some of these for a week or two and notice what changes for you. I believe you will find that you actually begin to enjoy your life, your family, and your work more. You will increase your energy throughout the day and actually do a better job of whatever the task is at hand. Taking the time to breathe and reenergize may be one of the most important things you can do for yourself.
Shirley Michl is a Certified Integrative Health Coach and owner of Intentional Wellness, LLC. Schedule a free 15 minute telephone consultation today.