Wondering why you are feeling burned out even though you are doing good things in your life? You're working hard and you're successful. Maybe you even workout or walk (occasionally) so you're getting some exercise. But...you are still left feeling frazzled, fatigued, and always have that nagging feeling of never being caught up! This could be a sign you need help managing your stress and energy. If this sounds familiar, this post is for you. I was there! I had a great leadership position in my company, made good money, was in demand, focused on getting my certification as an integrative health coach, had great family and friends, and took decent care of myself physically, or at least I thought. And, I was completely stressed, drained, and began to experience health issues. Nothing felt as great or exciting as I knew it could. Why? Because I was doing a lousy job of managing my stress, and more importantly, my energy!
I'm not alone in this. My clients experience this. Many colleagues experience this. Simply talk to people and you will hear how busy, stressed and overwhelmed they are. According to research:
- It's estimated that 90% of health practitioner visits (conventional & complementary) are due to stress.
- 75% of total health care costs are spent on preventable issues...lifestyle choices.
- 40% of Americans are sleep deprived.
- and the stats go on and on...
Do you recognize any of these 9 signs in yourself:
- Sign #1 you need help: You wake up every morning feeling more tired than you did when you went to bed. You've tossed and turned much of the night. You couldn't stop your brain from going over your work deadlines or life issues. Even if you went to bed on time, it simply meant you were laying there in bed, not relaxing or sleeping.
- Sign #2 you need help: You dread starting your day. It just feels like there is no joy or fun in your day. You begin to think about all the work waiting for you, what you still need to do, what problems are headed your way. Depending on your personal life, you may have kids to get up, feed, get to school, a long commute, a bad hair day...endless tasks and responsibilities simply to get to work and start your day!
- Sign #3 you need help: You find little to smile about. With so much to do, so many meetings, deadlines, demanding boss, demanding customers...how can you smile. Oh yeah, and it's a bad hair day!
- Sign #4 you need help: There is no time for lunch. You grab something on the go, probably fast food. Or you brought something and eat it at your desk while still cramming in your work. If you do go to lunch, you can't relax because of all that needs to be done in the afternoon, plus what did not get done in the morning.
- Sign #5 you need help: You reach for your antacids...a lot! Your stomach churns and the familiar heartburn rages. You think this is just normal, after all, everyone else around you is complaining of the same thing! News flash...this is not normal or healthy!
- Sign #6 you need help: You reach for your over the counter go-to for your headache...that has been with you all day. You typically find yourself taking a pain reliever for headaches multiple times a day at least 3 days a week. Big sign that stress is getting the best of you.
- Sign #7 you need help: You work long hours everyday. You promised yourself you would leave at a reasonable time. You even promised your significant other, or your child. But, there is that IT issue, a new demand from your boss, that report that needs to be done. Or maybe you are on the project from hell. It sounded so exciting and promising at first...now it's a life force sucking project that has more problems than solutions.
- Sign #8 you need help: You are tired, cranky and just want to eat and watch mindless television when you get home. You finally get home - and there it is, your second job!!! There is no rest, just more tasks to do! Your family wants your attention or you need to run the kids to their activities, get groceries, pick up the kids, write your performance review, mow the lawn, grab fast food for dinner....
- Sign #9 you need help: You "have no time" to take care of yourself! You would love to get a massage, walk with your family and friends, workout, participate in sports, but there's no time for that. You can't even remember when you really had a physical check-up or got your teeth cleaned.
Do any or all of these sound like you?
Most of us can relate to at least some of these at some point in our life. We've grown used to this. We tell ourselves it's the price we pay. It's simply the way it is. How many of us have bought into these beliefs along the way to adulthood? It is so easy to get so caught up in the demands of living, of achieving, of getting more...whatever the more is. We lose sight of what is really important. We focus almost entirely on what we need to do in the short term to get results, impairing our long term ability to be healthy human beings.
The Good News!
Yes, you can do something about this! You can get off that treadmill, at least enough to regain your energy and decrease your stress. Let's face it, there will always be stress in our lives. And stress is not all bad! We all need some stress to motivate us to perform. Unfortunately, many are living in a chronic state of fight, flight or freeze because of stress that is not managed.
An important key to managing stress is learning how to manage your energy. Instead of focusing on how to manage your time, seek to manage your energy!
Watch for my next blog for tips on how to manage your energy.