Tips for Creating:
Making your own salads in a jar is so easy once you get the hang of it. They are perfect for making ahead of time so you can simply grab one to take to work for lunch or anytime. The trick is to learn how to layer the ingredients so your salad doesn't get mushy.
Depending on what you choose to add - you may have to cook or roast some vegetables, grains, and meat. I like to make enough for several salads at a time.
Layer your salad in a mason jar (I prefer wide mouth jars), put a lid on it and you are set. When you are ready to eat, simply shake the jar to get the dressing mixed in and either eat directly from the jar or put it in a bowl. Enjoy!
Soon I'll add some of my favorite salad-in-a-jar recipes. Stay tuned!
Guide for Layering - Starting from the Bottom:
- Put your dressing in first on the bottom so it doesn't mingle with the other ingredients.
- Next, add your hard vegetables (carrots, beets, cabbage, sweet potatoes, etc.), legumes, sturdy grains.
- Then add the soft vegetables.
- Add your protein.
- Sprinkle in seeds, nuts, fruit, and other toppings of your choice.
- Finally add the salad greens on top.